Time flies so fast; seems as if it was just yesterday that there were backyard BBQ’s and ball games. Now, the leaves are changing and the temperatures dropping. We’re in the midst of autumn, and soon it will be winter. Yep, winter is approaching and time to put away those summertime items. That is unless you’re lucky enough to reside in Hawaii.
For those of us, who don’t live in Hawaii or able to enjoy the entire year outdoors, we must find a place for our BBQ grills, sports equipment, lawn equipment and furniture for the winter months. There is always the garage, if you have one. However, if you don’t have a garage or want to tie up all your garage space, a self storage unit might be the solution. Self storage units come in all sizes and are reasonably priced. Depending on what you need to store, you could store your items for the winter months for only a couple hundred dollars.
No matter where you decide to store your summertime items, you will first need to get them ready. Here are some tips to prepare them for storage:
- BBQ Grills: burn off all traces of food and clean grill racks, clean and dry exterior and remove fuel source such as propane.
- Lawn movers, trimmers and clippers: clean and dry exterior to prevent rust and then drain gas from tanks.
- Gardening equipment: clean and dry to prevent rust.
- Lawn furniture: clean furniture and dry thoroughly to prevent mold and mildew.
- Sports equipment: inflate footballs and basketballs so they don’t crack; Bicycles clean and dry thoroughly, oil chain and remove some air from tires; smaller sports equipment can be organized in bins.
Now that all your summertime items are safely and securely stored away, you’re ready to enjoy the winter. Snowmobile anyone?