When you decide to have others handle your personal belongings for any relocation, it’s important to ask the right questions before choosing a mover so you know you’re in good hands. Here are a few tips to help you through the process:
Check Licensing And Insurance
First things first, you want to find a moving company that is licensed and insured. Even when using experts, mistakes can happen and you want to be prepared. Always ask specific questions regarding added insurance that covers your belongings, as well as replacements if something were to happen during transit. Most moving companies only provide insurance for themselves and not for you, the person moving. If they are transporting your belongings to another state, be sure that they have a USDOT number, as well.
Ask About Rates, Estimates And Fees
Be firm about having all costs in writing before paying a dime to any company or individual. Here are some helpful questions to ask when obtaining an estimate:
- What are your exact rates?
- Is the estimate binding or non-binding? (A non-binding estimate may open the door for additional fees to be charged by the moving company.)
- Are there any hidden fees the company doesn’t disclose at the time of the estimate, such as accessibility issues (for example, if there are limitations on gaining access to your new or old residence, or if stairs or an elevator is involved at either location).
- Are there fees for loading and unloading an awkwardly shaped piece of furniture?
- Is there a storage fee if the truck arrives before you do on long-distance moves?
- Will there be any sub-charges on fuel and transportation?
References and Reviews
Treat this interview process the same as an employer treats a prospective employee looking for a job. Ask the movers how long they have been in business, and how many employees they have (not independent contractors). Take a look online for reviews from previous customers for a genuine glimpse into what to expect from the movers. Scan the company’s social media pages, too, for negative or positive reviews or comments from past clients.
If you don’t have the time to conduct many interviews, this is where Unpakt’s unique service steps in to help! You can depend on Unpakt to have already asked movers all these important questions, so you can safely select from the best movers and compare guaranteed prices as you shop.