Hiring a reputable moving company is very important to promote a seamless and easy transition into your new home. Before choosing a company, it is a good idea to compile a list of movers in your area and prepare a list of questions to ask each moving company. Asking the right moving company questions early on can prevent a lot of headaches on and after moving day. In order to find the best moving company, schedule an interview with a representative of the company to discuss your list of moving company questions.
Top 10 Moving Company Questions
- Do you provide references upon request from other satisfied customers that have used your service in the past?
- How many years has the company been in business?
- How does your company determine the cost? Is it determined by the hour, weight, or number of movers?
- Are there any extra fees for additional services? How much do you charge for these services?
- Is your company licensed and insured?
- Does your company offer liability insurance coverage in the event of an accident or damage to my belongings?
- Do you offer packing services?
- Who does the loading and packing?
- Are the movers covered by public liability insurance and workers’ compensation?
- Have you provided me with all important documentation including a contract?
Other Questions to Ask a Moving Company before You Choose
- What is your cancellation policy? Is there a fee for cancelling or rescheduling the move?
- What payment methods do you accept for the move? When is payment due? Do you offer payment options?
- Are there any other extra fees for this service? Is there an extra charge for the time spent traveling?
- Please describe your inventory system.
- What special packing techniques do you use for fragile items, electronics, glass, musical instruments, etc.?
- What is the process that must be completed if a complaint or dispute is filed?
- Do you supply any items to assist with the moves, e.g., boxes, packing materials, etc.? Which items are included in the moving expenses and which do I pay for separately?
- Do you offer a guarantee on the delivery date and pickup time? If you miss one or both, what is the protocol?
- Do you have a registration number with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)?
- Do you use subcontractors? If so, can I have the name of the company that will be handling my move?
- Will my belongings be transferred from one truck to another during the move?
By referring to this list of moving company questions as you are evaluating movers in your area, you can ensure that you are working with a reputable company that will provide a safe, stress-free, and enjoyable transition to your new home.