Having a plan and getting organized is the key to a smooth and painless long distance move. If you are organized from the beginning, you won’t get overwhelmed by all the tasks you have to take care of when you move. If you’re struggling to know where to start, don’t stress, that’s why Unpakt is here! Below we have compiled the following moving tips to help you plan and get organized for your long distance move.
Make a Plan
The first step is to make a plan. It should include everything that needs to be done from the day you know you are moving to the day you move into your new place. Here is an example of what you should definitely include:
- Compare long distance moving companies at least 4 – 8 weeks before moving
- Notify your bank and insurance companies 6 – 7 weeks before moving
- Contact your kid’s school 6 – 7 weeks before moving
- Declutter your home, sort out and valuable possessions 4 – 5 weeks before moving
- Inform lawyers, doctors, dentists, and neighbors 4 weeks before moving
- Call to disconnect utilities (water, electricity, the internet, etc.) 4 weeks before moving
- Sell, donate or give away unwanted items 2 weeks before moving
- Pack your belongings 2 – 3 weeks before moving
Prioritize the things that need to be done
Certain things need to be done before others. Prioritizing the things that need to be done first will help you to stay organized while preparing for your move. An easy way to do this is to create a checklist. It gives you a clear picture of what you have accomplished so far and what remains to be done. Take a notebook and write down all the things that need to be done in chronological order, such as, you should book a moving company before you start packing. You should also notify banks, schools, and insurance companies before you’re in your new home.
Don’t do all the work yourself. If you have a roommate or family members make sure you divide the responsibilities up. Even the smallest member of the family can be given something to do, such as packing their toys or making sure their room is empty. Dividing the responsibilities lightens the load for everyone and makes it easy for you to keep track of things that are most important. Remind each person of his or her responsibilities for the day.
One of the most important parts of organizing a long distance move is to make sure that the interstate moving company, you have hired, is reliable and professional and you stay on schedule.