Whether you are looking for temporary storage for your personal belongs or for your business, it is easier than ever to find a storage unit. The internet has multiple options to help you find a self storage unit to meet your needs.
Step 1: Determine what you need to store and what type of unit you need:
- Unit type: Regular or climate controlled to help control humidity.
- Unit location: Inside, outside, multi-floored or drive up unit for easy access.
- Accessibility: Some facilities only offer access during hours of operation; others have key codes or have open access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Security: security cameras inside and out, gated facility, or patrolling security personnel .
- Lighting: Well lit exterior areas; interior hallways, units and exits.
Step 2: Now that you have determined what type of unit you need, it is time to search for the perfect one. Search online by area or use a search engine dedicated solely to self storage. A self storage search engine will help you find and compare facilities, unit types, sizes and prices conveniently in one place often side by side.
Step 3: Reserve or book your self storage unit often right online or by calling the facility. However, you will need to complete a contract and other paperwork in person before you can move in.
Some other things you should know before you move in:
- Purchase a good lock before move in, if not most facilities sell locks at comparable prices.
- Most self storage facilities have hand carts or dollies for customer use, if not bring your own.
- Take pictures and/or keep an inventory of items being stored.
- Check with your homeowners insurance to see if items being stored are covered and bring copy of policy with you or you can purchase a policy from the facility to cover your stored belongings.
- Make sure to pay your monthly fee on time to avoid costly late charges.