If you are reserving your Boston movers and the big day is around the corner, then that means that you will be in Beantown for some of the best events of the year. While other cities are getting ready to hibernate, Boston comes to life in the autumn with countless events to enjoy all season long, especially October! Below are just a few of the many events you will want to put on your list to squeeze into your busy schedule.
- Boston Fashion Week – September 27 – October 6 – If you keep on top of who is who in the fashion industry, and make a point to have the up and coming trends in your closet every season, then you will want to take part in some of the events happening this week.
- HONK! Festival – October 5-8 – Bands fill the streets with colorful attire and celebratory music. Participants come from around the world to take part in the festival, so you can expect to hear everything from Balkan music to New Orleans brass bands.
- Cranberry Harvest Festival – October 6-7 – Celebrate the harvest season at the country’s largest cranberry grower. There will be family-oriented games, bog tours, fresh cranberries to buy and entertainment. More than 32,000 people came out last year and this year’s event is predicted to be even bigger.
- Columbus Day Parade – October 7 – Starting around 1 pm, this annual parade marches through the streets of East Boston. It honors Christopher Columbus, military commitments and the city’s Italian heritage. This is a pretty big deal, and everyone makes a point to be there.
- Boston Local Food Festival – October 7 – This free event takes place from 11 am to 5 pm, and it is one you don’t want to miss, or wear your skinny jeans for. Food from local farms and restaurants as well as some locally-made craft brews will be available to indulge in.
- Head of the Charles – October 21-22 – At least 300,000 spectators and more than 8,500 rowers take part in the largest two-day regatta in the world. There are 55 different events that take place this weekend by top crews from high schools, colleges, and clubs.
- Boston Book Festival – October 27 – Now is the time to stock up on all the books you will need to get through winter. There will be more than 100 local and renowned writers and publishers at this event. You will enjoy presentations, discussions, booksellers, live music, kids’ activities and food.
- Vegetarian Food Festival – October 27-28 – You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy some of the mouthwatering food you will find here. This is the 16th annual festival and it grows every year. Come out and enjoy free samples from award-winning chefs and pick up a cookbook or two. There are even children’s events!
- SoWa Market of the Living Dead – October 28 – Put on your most outrageous costume and makeup and head to SoWa Market. There will be cash prize winners for costumes, but really, everyone just comes out to have fun and sample food from all the food trucks. There will be plenty of crafts to buy from New England artisans as well. There is a good chance that if you ask your Boston movers what the most exciting thing to do is here in October, this event will be at the top of their list.
- Beacon Hill with a Boo – October 31 – Book your tickets for this event now. This walking tour brings you murder, mystery, and an occasional ghost haunt. Wear comfortable shoes and come discover the darker side of this seemingly charming neighborhood.
Check out other great articles about Boston: