How in the world did people manage to plan a move not having access to sources on the Internet to look for housing, compare movers, and deal with utilities? What a nightmare! You had to physically drive everywhere and talk on the phone with real people. Just the thought may spark a small panic attack in some people. It does not matter if you are moving across town or the entire country, it is easy to plan and get everything handled using the Internet. Of course, you still need to know where to look.
Apartment Rental Sites
- Apartments.com – The great thing about this site is that it lists apartments, townhouses, and condos for rent, as well as furnished spaces for short-term housing. You can search by city, state, or zip code, and specify the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and maximum rent price.
- Rent Jungle – This site lists apartments and houses for rent. You can specify characteristics you are hoping to find, such as wood floors, loft, etc. You can even use the “Compare Rent” feature to see the average price you should be paying in a specific are. This is especially helpful with long distance moves.
- StreetEasy – If you are among the many from all over the country chasing your dreams to the Big Apple, StreetEasy will do the seemingly impossible and help you find a rental. You can search by borough, or get more targeted results by listing neighborhood, such as Upper West Side, SoHo, etc.
- ForRent.com – This is very much like Apartments.com, but a little more extensive. It offers Senior Housing and Off-Campus Housing categories, and helps you check your credit, get renters insurance, and determine where to shop for furniture in the area.
- Trulia – Although primarily a site targeted to home buyers, it does list houses and apartments for rent, too. You can even search for listings recently reduced.
- Zillow – This modern site shows traditional sale listings, as well as for sale by owner, new construction, foreclosure, and rentals. There are even pre-foreclosures you can see before they hit the market.
- Realtor.com – There are hundreds of thousands of house listings on Realtor.com, and the site updates every 15 minutes, so you can see new listings as they come in.
- Unpakt – Before you spend your hard-earned money on moving supplies, Unpakt gives you a list of places you can find them for free. This site helps you plan your move from start to finish from comparing movers to providing exact pricing.
- JuggleBox Moving / Bin-it – If you absolutely need to purchase moving supplies, think outside the cardboard box. JuggleBox Moving and Bin-it rent reusable plastic bins that are heavy duty and clean. These companies deliver the boxes quickly and conveniently to your home or office when you need them. When you reach your new home or office, simply empty the boxes and neatly stack them out of the way and the company will take away the empty boxes when you are done with them.
Other Important Sources
- Movearoo.com – This site is actually a partner of Unpakt.com, and certainly one you will find helpful. Movearoo.com is your source for finding cable, internet, and phone bundles and deals.