If you are planning on moving to the DC area, and trying to settle on a precise location, then you may want to consider Alexandria, VA. This independent city is only six miles from downtown DC, yet it is often overshadowed by the popularity of the nation’s capital. While you may have never heard of this city, it is an extremely desirable place to live for those who can afford the steeply priced but beautiful housing. Whether you move into Alexandria or one of the surrounding suburbs, you will be delighted over the phenomenal restaurant selection here.
- Vermilion – Chef William Morris uses local, farm-raised products for dishes on his menu to ensure you enjoy the freshest ingredients. The venue is exquisite inside, and found on the very popular King Street in the historic Old Town district. The grilled octopus is a popular starter, followed by the Skuna Bay Salmon or Fields of Athenry Lamb for a main dish. The menu is quite simple, but that allows the kitchen to perfect the options available. Reservations are strongly encouraged.
- Restaurant Eve – You may need to have the platinum card ready for this restaurant, but you will not regret one penny. After you move here and you need a restaurant to celebrate a promotion or anniversary, or just for a special date, Restaurant Eve will give you the total experience you are looking for. The servers are extremely knowledgeable and will help you with wine pairing. This venue also offers a five, seven, and nine-course Chef’s Tasting Menu, with each course of food and wine hand selected by the chef.
- Los Tios Grill – For a more casual and moderately-priced restaurant, you will want to check out Los Tios Grill. The bartenders make a killer margarita to cool off your mouth from all that hot salsa you will not be able to stop eating. Their burritos and fajitas will not disappoint.
- Cheesetique – This delightful restaurant is extremely popular in the warmer months when the outside patio is open. As the name suggests, this is a cheese lover’s paradise. Cheestique is the perfect place for lunch or a light dinner as you will enjoy classics like macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, only seasoned and cooked to perfection. You even get complementary dark chocolates for dessert.
- Tavern Cretekou – This is an affordable, family friendly restaurant with all the popular Mediterranean favorites you love. You will likely find this restaurant near the top of your personal favorite list when you move to the area. The ambiance is fun, so do not be surprised when folks start dancing, singing, and breaking plates. Of course, you have to start your meal with saganaki. After all, what is a Greek restaurant without tons of flaming cheese everywhere?
- Momo Sushi and Café – This is not the snobby sushi bar you would expect to find in Old Town. Instead, this is a casual, friendly, inexpensive venue with great food and services. The downfall is that it is small and seating is limited, so if you try going during lunch or dinner you may find yourself waiting a long time for a table. On the positive side, takeout is available and quite fast. The sashimi platter is said to be the best in Alexandria.