Hosting a summer BBQ? Try serving these delicious BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches.
Backyard BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedgessee savings
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 2 – 2 1/2 pound boneless pork sirloin roast
- 1/2 teaspoonchili powder
- 1/2 teaspoonground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoonground black peppersee savings
- 1/4 teaspoongarlic powdersee savings
- 1 cupbottled low-calorie barbecue saucesee savings
- 1/4 cupcider vinegar
- 1 tablespoonhoney
- 1/4 teaspoonground ginger
- 10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine onions and the water; set aside. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into cooker. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin, the pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle mixture evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and onions from cooker. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds.
- In a large bowl, combine barbecue sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Add shredded meat; toss gently to coat. Fill each bun with about 1/3 cup of the meat mixture and about 1 tablespoon of the onions.
Make Ahead Tip
Prepare as directed. Store shredded meat mixture and onions in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.