Although Brooklyn is a fantastic place to visit, with an abundance of attractions, you can’t really appreciate how much this borough has to offer until you live here for yourself. If you ask your NYC movers, they will tell you that the area is jam-packed full of hidden gems that locals try to keep to themselves. Smorgasburg happens to be one of them!
What it Is
Smorgasburg takes place on Saturday at the Williamsburg Waterfront and Sundays at the historic Tobacco Warehouse on the Dumbo Waterfront. As you may or may not guess from the name, it is a smorgasbord of food, but not in the restaurant sort of way. This is actually a food flea market, which means you can pick up food and related items, like utensils, for your new place.
It does not matter if it is sunny or raining, the market is happening from early spring until very late in the fall. You can go here every weekend and never get bored, or eat the same thing twice. With nearly 100 vendors that are constantly changing, there is always something new to try.
Although there are rotating places, there are also some permanent vendors that are definite favorites. You will want to make a point to check the out.
- S’more Bakery – Really, can you even resist the name? Have you ever dreamed about what a perfect s’more would taste like? Now you have the chance to find out. You will also want to take home some of their homemade marshmallows in flavors like pumpkin spice, peppermint, toasted coconut and bourbon.
- Saucy by Nature – You don’t need to know how to cook great food; sometimes you simply need a good sauce. You will find 100 percent natural and absolutely delicious sauces to buy, such as Tomato Apple Chutney, Cranberry Pear, Spicy Pumpkin Ginger and Cilantro Lime.
- Pelzer’s Pretzels – You haven’t enjoyed a homemade pretzel until you have had one here. Sure, they have plain ones, but wait until you try their signature pretzel made with cranberry, lemon zest, and rosemary.
- Kings Country Jerky – Their jerky is all-natural, handmade and from grass-fed cattle. There are no artificial additives, MSG or other nasty stuff; just pure flavor.
- BiteME Cheesecake – Although bite size, sadly, it is impossible to eat just one. There are always new flavors to try as well as some favorites that are available every week. Be on the lookout for Caramel Apple, Peach Cobbler, Strawberry and Chocolate Lust.
- D’Vine and Olive – Flavored olive oil is exactly what you need to liven up those boring dishes. Take home a new bottle every week to try. They have everything from Rosemary to Blood Orange to Thai Chile.
- Heartbreaking Dawns – You never know what you will find here, but you can be certain that it will be good. Choose from hot sauces, powders, spices, BBQ sauces, preserves and more.
- Brooklyn Bangers – If you ask your NYC movers where to get a killer sausage, they may point you in the direction of Brooklyn Bangers. Choose from a smoked kielbasa, house made sausages and more.
Anyone can move to this borough and find a great restaurant. However, if you really want some fantastic food that you won’t find in a traditional restaurant, you will want to know which food trucks to go to. Chances are good that your Brooklyn movers can tell you where to go on any given day to find at least a few of the food trucks. Few of our favorites are the Brooklyn Popcorn truck, the Kimchi Taco Truck, and Korilla BBQ. Check ’em out! You’ll thank us!